What if I want to change my makeup? Change it! You can put any color makeup over it. Cosmetics may be applied over your permanent makeup for color variety. Some clients choose to apply a layer of conventional makeup to achieve a more dramatic effect for nighttime events. The choice is yours!
I am really interested, but also really scared. Please come in for a consultation. While there is a $50 fee for this 45-minute appointment, this requires no commitment and may help you to make a decision that you feel 100% confident about. Please do your research, and look through our online portfolio while making your decision.
What does a typical Permanent Makeup Consultation involve? In a consultation appointment, we discuss the procedures you would like performed. You can ask any questions regarding each procedure. With brows, we “draw” your custom desired design on your skin with a makeup pencil so you can see the proposed shape. We then select complimentary colors according to your skin tone. Unless you need a consultation to make your decision, we suggest you schedule your 2-hour service appointment and do both the consultation and application at the same time.
How is Permanent Makeup performed? Permanent makeup is applied with natural iron oxide colored pigments designed for use on the face, which are implanted into the very dermal layers of the skin with a tattoo like “machine” or “pen”. Prior to implanting the pigment, the technician puts on a pair of sterilized gloves and inspects your skin to make sure you have no cuts, scrapes or other types of broken skin. The area is treated with an antiseptic solution and the technician then “draws” your desired look onto your skin (only the brows are drawn on before the procedure.) You are asked to verify the placement, position, and design, which is about to be implanted. Cosmetic tattooing can be completed in 1 ½ – 2 hours per procedure.
Is it painful? This varies from person to person. A topical anesthetic is applied prior to and during each procedure to numb the epidermis. Each person might have an area that is more sensitive than another, although we try to keep you comfortable and relaxed. Clients usually have an idea how well they numb based on their experience at the dentist. Some people are so relaxed they fall asleep. Occasionally clients ask if they can take over the counter or prescription pain medications before or after their procedure. Any employee of About Face Ink should not be considered a medical professional and as such, they cannot prescribe pre or post medications for pain, swelling or any other reason. Any written or verbal conversation with an employee about over the counter or prescribed medications is considered a suggestion only, based on their experience with other clients or suggestions from other artist in the business of permanent cosmetics. Any over the counter or prescribed medications you choose to take pre or post procedure is your decision alone and About Face Ink, LLC or any About Face Ink employee is not responsible. Please identify any and all medications you currently take in your medical paperwork so we have an updated list in your medical history.
When can I return to work? Although most people feel they can return to work or other daily activities immediately; there may be some redness, slight swelling and the area treated may have a thin crust for 7-15 days. The healing process varies from person to person and depends on the procedure performed.
Can I wear makeup after the procedure? Keeping the area free from bacteria is vital to preventing an infection. Cosmetics should not be used on or around the treated area until it is closed and fully healed, which is roughly 5-15 days depending on your service and your typical healing pattern.
When will I be able to see the results? Results are seen immediately although the full end result is seen in approximately four weeks. The color will soften and the light crusting will be almost gone in 7-15 days. Most procedures require a follow-up appointment. Follow-up appointments are scheduled 4-6 weeks later. Additional charges will apply for follow-up appointments.
What will it look like immediately after? The color will be darker for the first 7-15 days. That is because color is both implanted in the dermal layer of the skin and it also sits on top of the skin (that is the slight crusting) and will get a softer look over 2 to 6 weeks.
What If I have a suntan/sunburn? Please consider 30 days clear of sun exposure on either side of your appointment. Tanned skin is damaged skin, and your color will not heal properly.
I attend the gym regularly or I am in body competitions/training for an upcoming event, or I am an avid swimmer. If any of the above applies to you, YOU are a perfect person for our services; HOWEVER you really need to think about the investment that you are about to make. Eyeliner generally heals BEAUTIFULLY with ONE week of proper care and powder filled brows and hair stroke brow technique requires ONE – TWO WEEKS OF CARE. Any perspiration or over exertion will compromise this work of art we have just placed in your skin. SALT is used to REMOVE pigment, and hundreds of talented, educated technicians have all been documenting results that have shown a DRAMATIC improvement in retaining pigment if you can make this commitment to the healing time. Please don’t book if you can’t make this commitment. Remember, it is just as important to us that your permanent makeup heals beautifully.
Is it really permanent? Do I have to do the procedure again? All permanent cosmetic procedures FADE, some may fade away completely over time. Sun exposure, anti-aging creams, skin care treatments, hormones, medications, etc. do affect the pigment. The pigment particles are placed into the dermal layer of the skin and remain there permanently, hence the name PERMANENT cosmetics. This is not meant to imply that your pigments will look the same forever…
Can I do anything to extend the life of my permanent cosmetics? Four things affect the length of time permanent makeup looks fresh:
- Hormones Most of us can do very little to change this; we just go with the flow!
- Sun Exposure Eyeliner: We suggest you wear sunglasses as often as possible. We also suggest you keep the area free from a build up of skin cells by gently cleansing the eyelids daily.
- Eyebrows: We suggest using an excellent sunscreen. We personally use and recommend IMAGE Prevention Moisturizer with SPF 50 (for $30.00). For your convenience, we have this product available for purchase at your appointment. Daily use of IMAGE Prevention on your eyebrows will protect them from some of the sun exposure. It is a high quality sunscreen that will not fade your permanent makeup eyebrows.
- Lips: Using lip products with sunscreen and moisturizers is both soothing to the lips and will protect the permanent lip color.
- Anti-Aging/Skin Care products Careful application of anti-aging products to your face is vital. From our own experience, a basic anti-aging moisturizer, when applied daily to the area ABOVE the eyebrows, caused the brows to fade more rapidly than expected. Skin care products can travel up to 3 inches from the initial application area! This means any product applied to the typical forehead may travel into the brow area. If your brows are fading in less than a year, this is most likely the reason.
- Medications Some medications may affect your healing time or color retention. It would be impossible to have a list of how all medications affect your outcome. Generally, it is not an issue but occasionally, it may be. We ask for your list of medications when you complete our paperwork in case we need it as a reference. Please include ALL of your medications and even your herbs and vitamins on your paperwork. Some medications are more likely to have an affect than others. For example, we know that blood pressure medication and some thyroid medications can cause the color to heal cool. Medications often prescribed for troubled skin are a red flag that you should wait for your service. Those on ACCUTANE must wait a full calendar year prior to obtaining permanent cosmetic services. We do what we can to predict these changes but due to the living, breathing, nature of the skin, we may need either additional appointments to get the color right or it may never be perfect. We do not give up easily and we are very patient, but this is one of the reasons we cannot provide a satisfaction guarantee on any permanent makeup.
What do I do when my permanent makeup begins to fade? When you look in the mirror and wonder if you should add color with a pencil, you may consider coming in for a COLOR BOOST to your permanent makeup. About Face Ink advises that you refrain from color boosting services for as long as possible, using traditional cosmetics to enhance your fading pigment. This will ensure a truly “fresh” boost when the time comes and protects the integrity of the skin. We suggest you wait at least 1 year from your follow up appointment, although you may not feel the need to come back much longer than that. Due to the fabulous pigment line that About Face Ink uses for all of its services, you are not committed in any way to continuous maintenance, your pigment will simply fade away slowly over time, however, because we are absolutely certain that you will LOVE your results, we are sure you will be back!
- EYELINER Color boost are typically requested every 1 – 4 years.
- POWDER FILL BROW Color boosts are typically requested every 1 – 4 years.
- HAIR STROKE BROW/MICROBLADING This procedure is VERY delicate, and aftercare is the key to a great-healed result. Proper aftercare and the right skin type and color should result in a service that last 12 months to 2 years.